We did the Lake Superior Circle Tour from July 3-12, 2015. What an awesome trip! It is so hard to pick favorites.
- Loved the view of Split Rock Lighthouse from afar.
- Watching climbers at Palisades Cliffs.
- Grand Marais was a cute little town (great meal at The Angry Trout).
- We saw a bear on the Gunflint Trail.
- High Falls and Kakabeka Falls were just the beginning of many beautiful falls.
- Drove up to the top of Sleeping Giant to the Thunder Bay Overlook (Cynthia didn’t like the cantilevered platform!).
- Dinner at Serendipity Gardens (what a cute place!).
- Saw Aguasabon Falls in Terrace Bay.
- Hiked the Point Trail at Neys.
- Visited Winnie-the-Pooh at White River.
- Saw the Big Goose in Wawa (overnighted at High Falls Cabins – great place!).
- Hiked to Agawa Rock and saw the pictographs (I was too chicken to go too far out, but went far enough to see the first two sets – amazing!).
- Sault Ste. Marie for the Soo Locks Boat tour, then into the Upper Peninsula.
- Up to Point Iroquois Lighthouse (great views, the lake was really choppy that day).
- Tahquamenon Falls (beautiful park).
- Took the Toonerville Trolley (not any critters, but it was still fun).
- Up to Whitefish Point, the Shipwreck Museum was great, views from the top of the lighthouse amazing!
- Overnighted in Grand Marais MI, spent the next day at Pictured Rocks (could have spent several days there, but had to move on!).
- Never saw so many flies as at Au Sable Light Station – Cynthia must have had 500 on her (I used better bug spray apparently).
- Miner’s Castle is gorgeous.
- Finished that day with the Riptide Ride out of Munising (GREAT fun!!).
- Moved on the next day west along the coast, found a gem in L’Anse at the Shrine of the Snowshoe Priest.
- Through Houghton-Hancock, through Gay MI (brief stop at The Gay Bar), on to Copper Harbor for dinner, and then back south to Silver City for a couple of nights. Lake Shore Cabins was a wonderful place to stay, cabins right on the beach!!! Firepit and beautiful sunsets, couldn’t be beat. Hiked in the Porkies.
- Then on to Bayfield for a sailboat ride with Dreamcatcher Sailing. Would have liked to have gotten further out into the Apostle Islands, but the sailboat was a nice experience.
- Went to Madeline Island for brunch, then the next day on around the peninsula and back to Duluth to finish the Tour.
A WONDERFUL TRIP!
Cynthia Lewis, Lecompton, KS
Judith Lessenden, Overland Park, KS