My husband, Clark, and I left on Monday, September 17 heading up the North Shore for what turned out to be a 9-day trip around the entire lake. Because we live in Duluth (and have seen the North Shore all our lives), we headed for Sleeping Giant Campground for our first night. Funny thing happened … we ran into our neighbors! Didn’t know they were making the trip and vice versa. Surprisingly fun first night stay with a beautiful view.
- spent quite some time visiting with the owners of the store at Silver Islet
- harvested amethyst at Blue Points
- hiked Ouimet Gorge
- camped at Wolf River in Hurkett
- stopped at Kama Bay
- hiked into Rainbow Falls
- built a rock cairn by Ripple
- camped at White Lake
- stopped at Old Woman Bay
- camped at KOA in Sault Ste. Marie
- checked out the locks
- hiked into Tahquamenon Falls and had a nice dinner there
- stopped at Bay View Campground to explore and let dog run … what a beautiful sandy beach. This was a surprise and we hope to stay there on our next trip.
- camped at East Branch Fox River
- dined at the West Bay Diner in Grand Marais, Michigan. The owner is also a writer and bought her book entitled Prairie Evers
- caught a beautiful double rainbow in Munising (no Pictured Rocks due to poor weather), but the rainbow was awesome
- camped at Lake Fanny Hooe in Copper Harbor
- hiked the Brockway Mountain
- took some beautiful pictures near Eagle Harbor, the Great Sand Bay and St. John’s Monastery
- stopped at the Jampot and purchased some baked goods and jams
- visited the Hanka Homestead (very interesting place, took many pictures)
- camped at Beaufort, Lake Michigamme
- camped at Lake Gogebic
- stopped in Bayfield and Cornucopia
- and built another rock cairn on Brighton Beach
- last stop … HOME on Tuesday, late afternoon, September 25.
We had a wonderful trip! In fact, we hope to make this trip every 3 years or so. So much to see and do without repeating. The Travel Guide issue (including the map) was all we needed to navigate our way. Thank you, Lake Superior Magazine, for everything!
Clark & Leslie Peterson
with Taylor the German Shepherd, Duluth, Minnesota